Friday, July 20, 2012

Homage to Degas...in a Roundabout Way

So today would have been Edgar Degas' 178 birthday! I'm sure he never in his wildest dreams, could've imagined how much the world would change. It makes me wonder what a hundred years from now will look like, not that I'll be here.

I loved the messiness, for want of a better term, of his work. He was such a master technically, but his compositions seem purposefully messy. It's like he cropped a lot of the pictures in the wrong place, just slightly. Or like he was trying to juxtapose the beautiful with the mundane. Gorgeous ballerinas awkwardly bent, struggling to pull on tights.

The dimly lit backgrounds and the muted colors are what have inspired me for today. His paintings were in some ways almost other worldly. In these paintings I tried to convey the floaty, heavenly, innocent, but yet slightly haphazard theme of his work.








































No comments:

Post a Comment